Progress Report

The thing about progress reports is this: They may be boring to read for the audience, but they are exciting to write for the author, as their very existence means there is progress to be reported. So, without further ado, here’s what I did during the last weeks:

First of all, we haven’t played any games lately. We haven’t been home for a while, and the only game I took with me is X-Wing – a friend of mine who lives in the town I am temporarily working in wants to play it, but because of work and travel there was no time yet. Still, I am looking forward to hopefully have at least a game of X-Wing in the near future.

However, on the painting front things have developped in a much more satisfying way. After doing some research, especially purchasing the useful publication by the Lance and Longbow Society on Standards, Badges & Livery Colours of the Wars of the Roses, I have started painting my Wars of the Roses figures. I decided on the livery of Henry VI for the Lancasterians, as this can also be used for the Duke of Somerset (I am not painting any badges – couldn’t do it even if I wanted to).

Archers ready!
Archers ready!

For the Yorkists, I went for the colours of the retainers of the Earl of Warwick. Somerset and Warwick were pitched against each other on different occasions, so this should provide a good force for plausible scenarios.

A Warwick! A Warwick!
A Warwick! A Warwick!

I have now finished (apart from basing) 24 archers, 24 men-at-arms, 24 billmen and 12 Big Men. I am planning to complete a couple more before Christmas: Villagers, trumpeters, standard bearers and a priest as well as 12 handgunners. This should give us enough units for a first game of Sharp Practice, which I have already scheduled for the Christmas holidays.

…dear friends, once more!
…dear friends, once more!

I also have a confession to make: I have started yet another project. To my excuse, it’s not for me. As you will remember, this summer our nephew stayed with us and we introduced him to miniature wargaming. As his birthday is in February, I decided to give him a couple of figures as a present and jot down some simple rules so he can play with his friends. In issue 363 of Miniatures Wargames, there were nice and simple rules for a knightly tournament which could be adapted. As he is not interested in medievals, however, I thought about painting him some 28mm martial arts miniatures from Reaper. They are nice and don’t look too frail, which might be an advantage when being handeled by a 10-year old. I am still waiting for the Reaper order to arrive, but as soon as the figures are here, I will paint them in between my WotR – after painting 15mm models for the last months, I am curious as to how my painting skills have progressed when tackling the big guys.

Another thing I did was read old issues of Miniature Wargames. I ordered the complete set of CDs containing issues 1-350 from Wargames Fever and have been gradually reading and browsing my way throught the first 100 issues. It’s an interesting and fun read which not only conveys a sense of the history of the hobby but also provide lots of fascinating ideas and scenarios that can still be used today. One thing that especially caught my eyes are the terrain making articles by Ian Weekley. Ian Weekley had a company named Battlements back in the days, which built custom-made scenery for wargamers. In each article, he portraits one building and gives some tips on how to build it. The buildings look a little simpler than todays standard, especially if you are used to the high-end terrain seen in glossy magazines. However, they have a lot of charm and look feasible for the avarage modeller such as myself. Reading through the articles, I have made the firm resolution to build more terrain myself. Ok, I admit this was interrupted by the CRISIS purchase of a castle, but I did not buy the windmill I saw – I will follow the instructions of Weekley and do that myself. Let’s see if I succeed.

A windmill by Ian Weekley
A windmill by Ian Weekley

P.S.: Sorry for the quality of the photos, I used the flash this time and the figures turned out more glossy than they are in reality – I am not that old school.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Progress Report

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s